Say Агов (Ahov) to Ukraine!
With a tourism industry devastated by the war in the east, a massive section of Ukraine is still open for business, and ready to welcome tourists interested in digging beneath the headlines to discover this lovely country.
We spent three months in Ukraine in 2016, exploring the edgy and beautiful capital city of Kyiv for a few days before heading west, and basing ourselves in the charming city of Lviv for the rest of our time. We also visited the countryside around Lviv, taking a ‘Golden Horseshoe’ tour to see some of the villas in the area.
Beautiful, confusing, and ripe for people who want to understand more about a complex political situation, Ukraine is ready to delight those willing to give it a chance!
Posts About Ukraine
- Is Ukraine Safe for Travellers? — A first-impressions post about how we felt arriving in Kyiv, and what it’s like to travel in a country that’s at war with Russia.
- Masochism, Bunkers and Putin Beer — A guide to the weird and quirky world of restaurants and pubs in Lviv, plus a bit of politics. You definitely won’t be bored!
- Castles of Western Ukraine — Taking the ‘Golden Horseshoe’ tour of the villas and castles in the Lviv area.
- Things to Do in Lviv — A city-break guide to charming Lviv.
- In Ukraine, It’s Complicated — Closing thoughts on our 3 months in Ukraine, and how we discovered not everything is as it seems.
- Hotel Spotlight: 11 Mirrors Kyiv — If you’re up for a bit of a luxurious treat while in Kyiv, this is the place to do it. Plus, Ukraine offers awesome value for those travelling on the dollar, euro, or pound, making this less of a splurge than you might expect.