Say Агов (Ahov) to Ukraine!
With a tourism industry devastated by the war in the east, a massive section of Ukraine is still open for business, and ready to welcome tourists interested in digging beneath the headlines to discover this lovely country.
We spent three months in Ukraine in 2016, exploring the edgy and beautiful capital city of Kyiv for a few days before heading west, and basing ourselves in the charming city of Lviv for the rest of our time. We also visited the countryside around Lviv, taking a ‘Golden Horseshoe’ tour to see some of the villas in the area.
Beautiful, confusing, and ripe for people who want to understand more about a complex political situation, Ukraine is ready to delight those willing to give it a chance!
Posts About Ukraine
- Is Ukraine Safe for Travellers? — A first-impressions post about how we felt arriving in Kyiv, and what it’s like to travel in a country that’s at war with Russia.
- Masochism, Bunkers and Putin Beer — A guide to the weird and quirky world of restaurants and pubs in Lviv, plus a bit of politics. You definitely won’t be bored!
- Castles of Western Ukraine — Taking the ‘Golden Horseshoe’ tour of the villas and castles in the Lviv area.
- Things to Do in Lviv — A city-break guide to charming Lviv. We also have a post with ideas for things to do in Kiev, written by a travel blogger who spent time living in the city. Check out Local’s Tips for Kiev!
- In Ukraine, It’s Complicated — Closing thoughts on our 3 months in Ukraine, and how we discovered not everything is as it seems.
- Hotel Spotlight: 11 Mirrors Kyiv — If you’re up for a bit of a luxurious treat while in Kyiv, this is the place to do it. Plus, Ukraine offers awesome value for those travelling on the dollar, euro, or pound, making this less of a splurge than you might expect.
Things to do in Kiev: Kiev Travel Tips from An Expat and Travel Blogger in Kiev. A Quick List of What to Do in Kiev from a Local! This post is part of our City Tips from a Local interview series, where we interview locals for insiders travel tips about their city! Today, we’re chatting to Sabina, who
If Ukraine was a relationship status update, it would surely be ‘it’s complicated.’ My thoughts on Ukraine after spending 3 months there. (If you’re just looking for Ukraine travel advice, you can check out our Lviv City Guide, Lviv Restaurant Guide, Ukrainian Castles post, or Is Ukraine Safe for Travel post). There’s an elderly woman I know
Lviv City Guide: The best things to Do in Lviv, Ukraine, plus practical travel info and Lviv travel tips. Disclosure: This Lviv Ukraine Guide contains affiliate links. That means we may earn a small commission when you use the links on this site to book a hotel, buy your travel insurance, etc.. You don’t pay anything extra. If you’d
Castles of Western Ukraine: Visiting the Lviv Golden Horseshoe Castle as a day trip from Lviv, including Zolochiv, Pidhirtsi and Olesko Castles. Disclosure: This Ukraine Castle Tour Post contains affiliate links. That means we may earn a small commission when you use the links on this site to book a hotel, buy your travel insurance, etc.. You don’t
5 strange restaurants in Lviv Ukraine: A masochism-themed bar, a brewery with Putin d*ckhead beer, a war bunker pub, and more…there are many strange restaurants in Lviv Ukraine. 1. Masoch Café (Serbs’ka 7) A bar/café, but mostly a bar, this spot is dedicated to Leopold Ritter von Sacher-Masoch, an Austrian writer who was born in
After a few weeks in Budapest, we were excited to get a move on and explore a new country neither of us had been to before: Ukraine! To be honest, we had no idea what to expect of Kiev, and felt a mostly comfortable mix of nervous-excitement the night before our flight. On the
The night before we left Budapest, neither of us could sleep. Instead of drifting off to dreamland in the beautiful boutique hotel we were staying in, we both spent the four hours between midnight and our alarm clock tossing and turning, fighting each other for the sheets and reaching for our phones, blue light be