Welcome to the Baltics: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
We visited the Baltics in 2012, taking an independent trip through Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
From Estonia’s fairytale-esque capital of Tallinn to the up-and-coming cool of Riga, and the quirky “country” of Uzupis (really, a section of Vilnius), this is a region of Europe that deserves more visitors.
Posts About Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
General Posts About the Baltics
- A Tale of Three Cities: Instagrams from the Baltics — Get a taste for these three countries with some of our favorite photos from the trip.
Posts About Estonia
- Estonian is Awesome — As English-speakers, we found Estonian to be rather delightful!
- St. Olaf’s Church in Tallinn — A quick post about our trip up to the top of St. Olaf’s church, and the gorgeous views from up top!
- The History of Marzipan: Europe’s Secret Candy War — A tongue-in-cheek post about the history of marzipan, and which country really owns the right to claim it as its own!
- Estonian Beer: An Introduction to Estonia’s Original MicroBrews — Tasting live farm beer in Estonia’s capital.
- Tallinn’s Old Town at Night — A story about how trusting strangers when you travel can lead to wonderful results!
- Student Prison at the University of Tartu: The A-Holes of History — A trip to the form student prison — yes, you read that right — in Tartu. You’ll never want to return a library book late, again!
Posts About Latvia
- Sigulda Castle — A story of an utter fail at tourism, this is the tale of that time we tried to visit Sigulda Castle as a day trip from Riga, and instead got miserably lost, ending up at a golf course.
- The History of the Christmas Tree: Another Secret European War — Another tongue-in-cheek post, this time about the Christmas tree, and where you can find a commemoration of the (maybe) first Christmas tree ever!
- The Story of Riga’s Cat House (Worst. Revenge. Ever.) — Riga’s black cat house is super weird – this is the story behind it.
- Riga Art Nouveau — An intro to art nouveau in Riga.
Posts About Lithuania
- The Republic and Constitution of Užupis (Best. Country. Ever.) — A day trip to one of the quirkiest ‘countries’ we’ve ever been to: Užupis, in the heart of Vilnius.
- The Hill of Crosses (and the Time We Took a Taxi to Another Country) — Visiting the Hill of Crosses in Lithuania…with a bout of food poisoning.
- The Story of the Baltic Way — Learning about Lithuania’s non-violent resistance against the Soviets in Vilnius.