Time and again, we seem to find ourselves drawn back to the Netherlands. discovering something new and different each and every time.
While we can understand the draw behind this tiny country’s largest city, we’ve also discovered there’s more to the Netherlands than Amsterdam.
Some of our favorite places, we still have to write about, but trust us when we say Maastricht is a delight! On three separate visits to the country, we’ve visited under-rated places like Friesland, as well as popular highlights like Haarlem and Rotterdam.
Whatever you do, give yourself a bit more time in the Netherlands than you think you’ll need. And after you’ve hit up all the fabulous museums you can handle, get out of the capital and discover what else the Netherlands has to offer!
Posts About the Netherlands
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam — Find the best neighborhood to stay in Amsterdam, no matter what you’re interested in and who you’re travelling with. In this post, our Amsterdam local expert outlines Amsterdam’s best neighborhoods to stay in.
- 22 Alternative Things to do in Amsterdam will give you some trip ideas that go beyond canal houses and Rembrandt paintings!
- We interviewed Jordyn, an American expat living in Amsterdam, and asked her to share her favorite Things to Do in Amsterdam. If you’re planning a trip to this city of canals, be sure to check out Jordyn’s advice!
- If you want to get out of Amsterdam and explore the country in more depth, start with this post about The Best Places to Visit in Netherlands. We reached out to other travel bloggers to get their thoughts on their favorite places and experiences around the country!
- We believe the lessons of the past are important for today, which is why we engage in “Remembrance Tourism” whenever we can. We had a moving time exploring the Netherlands’ Gelderland province with Liberation Route Europe. Our first post is about participating in the Sunset March daily memorial. We also visited the grave of Katie’s Great Uncle Johnny, who died near the end of WWII, at Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery.
- On our last visit to the Netherlands, we headed north to check out the fascinating and distinctive region of Friesland. Check out our Introduction to Friesland post, as well as a 48 Hours in Friesland Itinerary. Finally, we interviewed local tour guide Henk about the best Things to Do in Leeuwarden, Friesland’s cozy capital!
- “Next door” to Friesland, you’ll find the other northern province of Groningen, and it’s capital city of the same name. Find out why you should visit this city, as well as the best Things to Do in Groningen (according to a local).
- Much to our confusion, more than 200 people find this website every month by searching “Amsterdam Puns” → here’s what they find when they click on our site!
If you’re planning a Netherlands trip, be sure to include these hotspots to capture the best photos of Rotterdam! Architecture from quirky to mesmerizing, old
Considering visiting Utrecht, and asking yourself, Is Utrecht Worth Visiting? Find out why American expats in the Netherlands think you should visit Utrecht, the differences
Alternative Things to Do in Amsterdam: 22 Ideas to Get Off the Beaten Path and Explore the Most Unique Things to Do in Amsterdam. Includes Recommendations
This is Canadian ground, says Martin, as we pause at the cemetery gate, shifting our weight to stay warm as he introduces us to the
The Sunset March in Nijmegen, Netherlands: Our Experience Participating in the Sunset March in Nijmegen, and Why You Should Add it to your Travel Wish
Best Places to Visit in Netherlands: Travel bloggers share about their favorite Netherlands cities and experiences (and hopefully help you decide where to go in
Things to do in Amsterdam: Amsterdam Travel Tips from An American Expat and Blogger in Amsterdam. A Quick List of What to Do in Amsterdam from a
Visit Friesland: The Best Things to do in Friesland Northern Netherlands. A Visit Friesland 48-Hour City Break Itinerary Disclosure: This Friesland Itinerary Guide contains affiliate links. That
Things to do in Leeuwarden: Leeuwarden Travel Tips from A Local Tour Guide. A Quick List of What to Do in Leeuwarden from a Local! This
Visit Friesland Netherlands: Discovering Cozy Cities and a Distinct Culture Hidden in Plain Sight at the Top of the Netherlands. Visit Friesland Netherlands When
Things to do in Groningen: Groningen Travel Tips from An American Expat and Blogger. A Quick List of What to Do in Groningen from a
Where to Stay in Amsterdam: Advice from a local expat and travel blogger about the best neighborhoods to stay in Amsterdam, Netherlands! (Complete with hotel
Remember back in Finland, when I discovered that as North Americans we pretty much live like peasants, all what with our lack of champagne at