Time and again, we seem to find ourselves drawn back to the Netherlands. discovering something new and different each and every time.
While we can understand the draw behind this tiny country’s largest city, we’ve also discovered there’s more to the Netherlands than Amsterdam.
Some of our favorite places, we still have to write about, but trust us when we say Maastricht is a delight! On three separate visits to the country, we’ve visited under-rated places like Friesland, as well as popular highlights like Haarlem and Rotterdam.
Whatever you do, give yourself a bit more time in the Netherlands than you think you’ll need. And after you’ve hit up all the fabulous museums you can handle, get out of the capital and discover what else the Netherlands has to offer!
Posts About the Netherlands
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam — Find the best neighborhood to stay in Amsterdam, no matter what you’re interested in and who you’re travelling with. In this post, our Amsterdam local expert outlines Amsterdam’s best neighborhoods to stay in.
- 22 Alternative Things to do in Amsterdam will give you some trip ideas that go beyond canal houses and Rembrandt paintings!
- We interviewed Jordyn, an American expat living in Amsterdam, and asked her to share her favorite Things to Do in Amsterdam. If you’re planning a trip to this city of canals, be sure to check out Jordyn’s advice!
- If you want to get out of Amsterdam and explore the country in more depth, start with this post about The Best Places to Visit in Netherlands. We reached out to other travel bloggers to get their thoughts on their favorite places and experiences around the country!
- We believe the lessons of the past are important for today, which is why we engage in “Remembrance Tourism” whenever we can. We had a moving time exploring the Netherlands’ Gelderland province with Liberation Route Europe. Our first post is about participating in the Sunset March daily memorial. We also visited the grave of Katie’s Great Uncle Johnny, who died near the end of WWII, at Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery.
- On our last visit to the Netherlands, we headed north to check out the fascinating and distinctive region of Friesland. Check out our Introduction to Friesland post, as well as a 48 Hours in Friesland Itinerary. Finally, we interviewed local tour guide Henk about the best Things to Do in Leeuwarden, Friesland’s cozy capital!
- “Next door” to Friesland, you’ll find the other northern province of Groningen, and it’s capital city of the same name. Find out why you should visit this city, as well as the best Things to Do in Groningen (according to a local).
- Much to our confusion, more than 200 people find this website every month by searching “Amsterdam Puns” → here’s what they find when they click on our site!
Visit Leiden Netherlands, so close yet seemingly so far away from the hype and bustle of Amsterdam. Here are some things to do in Leiden, points of interest, and our top reasons to visit this pretty Dutch city on your next Netherlands holiday. This is a guest post by Constance from The Adventures of Panda
If you’re planning a Netherlands trip, be sure to include these hotspots to capture the best photos of Rotterdam! Architecture from quirky to mesmerizing, old to modern, and a gorgeous city skyline. This is a guest post by Bruna of Maps ‘n Bags Disclosure: This Photos of Rotterdam Location guide contains affiliate links. That means
Planning your first visit to Rotterdam, Netherlands? We’ve put together this list of 6 Cool Things to Do in Rotterdam to keep you busy! Check out Amsterdam’s hipper sibling city as a day trip from Amsterdam, or on an overnight side trip from Amsterdam. This is a guest post by Shandos Cleaver of Travelnuity Disclosure:
Considering visiting Utrecht, and asking yourself, Is Utrecht Worth Visiting? Find out why American expats in the Netherlands think you should visit Utrecht, the differences between visiting Utrecht vs Amsterdam, and why you really don’t have to choose between Utrecht or Amsterdam on your next Dutch holiday! This is a guest post from Sarah and
Alternative Things to Do in Amsterdam: 22 Ideas to Get Off the Beaten Path and Explore the Most Unique Things to Do in Amsterdam. Includes Recommendations for Tours, Bars, Day Trips, Attractions and Hotels that Most Tourists Never Make it To! If You’re Planning a Trip to Amsterdam, this Alternative Guide to Amsterdam Will Get You Started
This is Canadian ground, says Martin, as we pause at the cemetery gate, shifting our weight to stay warm as he introduces us to the cemetery and its eternal residents. My eyes involuntarily well up a bit, and I brush my face with a gloved hand, scanning the grounds with my eyes as Martin continues
The Sunset March in Nijmegen, Netherlands: Our Experience Participating in the Sunset March in Nijmegen, and Why You Should Add it to your Travel Wish List When the clock strikes 4:26pm, our conversation stops abruptly, and our small group falls into a meditative silence and starts marching. I can’t remember who sets out first,
Best Places to Visit in Netherlands: Travel bloggers share about their favorite Netherlands cities and experiences (and hopefully help you decide where to go in Netherlands!) Disclosure: This website uses affiliate links. That means we earn a small commission when you click through to buy something on Amazon, book a hotel, buy your travel insurance, etc. You don’t pay anything extra.
Things to do in Amsterdam: Amsterdam Travel Tips from An American Expat and Blogger in Amsterdam. A Quick List of What to Do in Amsterdam from a Local! This post is part of our Tips from a Local interview series, where we interview locals for insiders travel tips about their city! Today, we’re chatting to Jordyn Hartlein,
Visit Friesland: The Best Things to do in Friesland Northern Netherlands. A Visit Friesland 48-Hour City Break Itinerary Disclosure: This Friesland Itinerary Guide contains affiliate links. That means we may earn a small commission when you use the links on this site to book a hotel, buy your travel insurance, etc.. You don’t pay anything extra. If you’d like
Things to do in Leeuwarden: Leeuwarden Travel Tips from A Local Tour Guide. A Quick List of What to Do in Leeuwarden from a Local! This post is part of our City Tips from a Local interview series, where we interview locals for insiders travel tips about their city! Today, we’re chatting to Henk Leutscher, the local
Visit Friesland Netherlands: Discovering Cozy Cities and a Distinct Culture Hidden in Plain Sight at the Top of the Netherlands. Visit Friesland Netherlands When we told people our first trip of 2017 was to visit Friesland Netherlands, I’ll admit most people’s reaction was pretty similar; something along the lines of, you’re going where? Other
Things to do in Groningen: Groningen Travel Tips from An American Expat and Blogger. A Quick List of What to Do in Groningen from a Local! This post is part of our Tips from a Local interview series, where we interview locals for insiders travel tips about their city! Today, we’re chatting to Rachel Heller,
Where to Stay in Amsterdam: Advice from a local expat and travel blogger about the best neighborhoods to stay in Amsterdam, Netherlands! (Complete with hotel suggestions) We created this guide in collaboration with Deepa Paul, an expat and travel blogger who has been living in Amsterdam since 2011. Deepa served as the local neighborhood expert for this
Remember back in Finland, when I discovered that as North Americans we pretty much live like peasants, all what with our lack of champagne at every meal and also as a nutritious snack and what not? So when we decided to head back to Europe a few months later, I was excited to live for
It appears as though the Dutch have a sense of humor! Funny signs and puns were found throughout Amsterdam! Planning a Trip to Amsterdam? Where to Stay in Amsterdam / 22 Alternative Things to Do in Amsterdam Search for hotels and things to do while in Amsterdam!
We stopped in Amsterdam on our recent trip to Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania by timing our flights to have a 10-hour layover. On our way there. This was a bad call, and not something you should do. Here’s why. Having never been to the city, we jumped at the chance to spend a layover in Amsterdam,