Say Bună to Romania!
Romania is one of those countries that suddenly seems to be on everyone’s list.
After spending a month in Romania in 2014, we can certainly understand why. Bucharest has a hip, edgy vibe to it, and is full of great nightlife, prompting some media outlets to compare Bucharest to Berlin. Head out of the city, and you’ll quickly find yourself in the gorgeous small cities of Transylvania and beyond.
In May 2017, Katie went back to Bucharest to experience the best of the city, and loved it. Both Geoff and Katie will be returning at the end of our upcoming Viking “Passage to Eastern Europe” river cruise in June 2017.
Start with these stories, and we’ll update when there’s more to add!
Posts About Romania
- Where to Stay in Bucharest — We enlisted the help and expertise of a local travel writer to find the best areas to stay in Bucharest! This post gives you and overview of Bucharest’s different neighbourhoods, along with suggestions for the best hotels in Bucharest, per area.
- On Racism, the Romani, and Romania — Part reflection on attitudes toward Romania (and how they’re unjustified), part love letter to Romania. When Katie returned to Bucharest in 2017, she tried to learn more about Romania’s Roma people on the excellent Roma Heritage Tour. You can read about her experience here!
- The Hope and Beauty Behind Bucharest’s Street Art — Katie takes a leap and tries out a street art tour of Bucharest. She wasn’t disappointed!
- 13 Photos of the Romanian Athenaeum — One of the most beautiful places in Bucharest, the Athenaeum is a must-visit when in Romania’s capital.
- Things to do in Bucharest — Geoff picks his favorites for the best things to do in Bucharest.
- The Gateway to Transylvania — All about Brasov, a lovely small city a few hours from Bucharest, which serves as the gateway to Transylvania.
- City Tips from a Local: Arad, Romania — A guest post from a travel blogger about her off-the-path home city of Arad, near the Hungarian border.
- How to Get from Timisoara to Belgrade by Train — A practical post about the nitty gritty of travelling from Timisoara to Belgrade.
- Where we stayed in Bucharest — We enjoyed our time at Cozyness Downtown Hostel*. That said, it’s now under new ownership, so we can’t vouch for it (although the reviews are great*!)
*Denotes affiliate links, which means we may receive compensation if you use those links to book.