Say Bună to Romania!
Romania is one of those countries that suddenly seems to be on everyone’s list.
After spending a month in Romania in 2014, we can certainly understand why. Bucharest has a hip, edgy vibe to it, and is full of great nightlife, prompting some media outlets to compare Bucharest to Berlin. Head out of the city, and you’ll quickly find yourself in the gorgeous small cities of Transylvania and beyond.
Start with these stories, and we’ll update when there’s more to add!
Articles About Romania
- Where to Stay in Bucharest — We enlisted the help and expertise of a local travel writer to find the best areas to stay in Bucharest! This post gives you and overview of Bucharest’s different neighbourhoods, along with suggestions for the best hotels in Bucharest, per area.
- Day Trips from Bucharest — We asked a regional expert for her picks on the best day trips from Bucharest, and she came up with 5 trips and 4 honorable mentions throughout Romania and Bulgaria.
- On Racism, the Romani, and Romania — Part reflection on attitudes toward Romania (and how they’re unjustified), part love letter to Romania. When Katie returned to Bucharest in 2017, she tried to learn more about Romania’s Roma people on the excellent Roma Heritage Tour. You can read about her experience here!
- The Hope and Beauty Behind Bucharest’s Street Art — Katie takes a leap and tries out a street art tour of Bucharest. She wasn’t disappointed!
- 13 Photos of the Romanian Athenaeum — One of the most beautiful places in Bucharest, the Athenaeum is a must-visit when in Romania’s capital.
- Things to do in Bucharest — Geoff picks his favorites for the best things to do in Bucharest.
- The Gateway to Transylvania — All about Brasov, a lovely small city a few hours from Bucharest, which serves as the gateway to Transylvania.
- City Tips from a Local: Arad, Romania — A guest post from a travel blogger about her off-the-path home city of Arad, near the Hungarian border.
- How to Get from Timisoara to Belgrade by Train — A practical post about the nitty gritty of travelling from Timisoara to Belgrade.
5 of the Best Day Trips from Bucharest. Includes Detailed Recommendations and How-To Instructions for Day Tours from Bucharest to Veliko Tarnovo (Bulgaria), Horezu
How to Drive the Transfagarasan: A DIY Guide to the Best Road in Romania (and One of the Best in the World)
A DIY Guide to Driving the Transfagarasan – the Best Road in Romania. Includes routes and instructions for completing the Transfagarasan from Bucharest. Disclosure: This
Where to Stay in Bucharest: Advice from a local blogger about the best neighborhoods to stay in Bucharest, Romania! (Plus 18 of the best hotels
Street Art Bucharest: Getting to know Romania’s capital through a Bucharest street art tour. Learning about Bucharest and Romanian society and culture through street art,
Roma Heritage Tour Bucharest: Exploring Roma Heritage and Culture in Bucharest, Romania — and having our prejudices busted — on Open Door Travel’s Roma Heritage
Things to do in Arad: Arad Travel Tips from a Local. A Quick List of What to Do in Arad, Romania from a Local! This post
How to Get from Timisoara Romania to Belgrade Serbia by Train: Step-by-step Instructions that can be reversed if you’re travelling from Belgrade to Timisoara. This
Hostel reviews aren’t really our thing, but we’re making an exception for the Cozyness Downtown Hostel Bucharest for no other reason than we loved this place.